Check out one of my Real Estate Resource links, 5 Tips for a Better Open House from MSN Real Estate!
1. Clean and repair your home. It should go without saying, but clean your house as if you were going to eat off the floors. Also, consider making minor cosmetic repairs and upgrades such as touching up paint and planting fresh flowers.
2. De-clutter. Put away the ceramics collection, toys and things lining the bathroom and kitchen counters. A crowded house makes it look smaller and makes it harder for buyers to imagine it as their own, says Gail Mayhugh, a professional home stager and owner of GMJ Interiors in Las Vegas.
3. De-personalize. Take down family photos, trophies and other personal touches, even that book on your nightstand. Buyers need to imagine the house as a blank slate, ready to be occupied and personalized by them, Mayhugh says.
4. Consider holding an early viewing just for the locals. For instance, if you are having an open house from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., invite your neighbors from noon to 1 p.m. It will make them feel good and allow the agent to focus on the most interested parties when the real open house starts.
5. Promote heavily. Make sure your open house is listed on the MLS and on other Internet sites such as Realtor.com, Expo or Craigslist.com. Post lots of pictures, send out fliers, put up lots of signs and advertise in your local paper.
Remember, I keep a list of Real Estate Resource Links in the right-hand column! Make sure to check them all out!